Car accidents are very common, especially in a first-world country like the United States. It is estimated that more than 38,000 people die from car accidents every year, and an additional 4.4 million are fatally injured. If you have gotten yourself into a car accident in the most linguistically diverse city of the world: New York City, you should consider hiring a car accident lawyer.
Investing in car accident lawyers in New York state is much more than just an investment, it can also help you save yourself a lot of trouble in the long run. Here are some facts that you should know:
A car accident lawyer in New York state
New York City is referred to as one of the most congested urban areas when it comes to traffic. INRIX Global Traffic Scorecard examined over 200 cities and NYC ranked as the fourth-most congested city in the United States alone.
In 2018 alone, there were more than 228 thousand car-related accidents in New York. If we were to break that down, it would translate to roughly 620 accidents a day. With so many accidents happening, hiring a car accident lawyer especially in New York state is a decision you may not regret.
One of the worst things about being in an accident is the fact that you won’t know when your life is in danger. Accidents don’t happen based on prediction, and no matter how much you try to drive safely, the risk of getting in an accident is never 0%.
How can car accident lawyers help?
Here are some of the areas where car accident lawyers in New York can help in case you do get into an accident:
- Compensation for medical bills – since it is illegal to drive without insurance in the US, a car accident lawyer can help you get compensation for both current and future medical bills.
- Compensation for damage & loss – car accidents can vary from just minor damage to the car’s exterior to even fatal damage to one’s well-being. A car accident lawyer can help show all damage to the insurance company to compensate for the loss.
- Therapy & rehabilitation compensation – being in an enormously stressful event such as a car accident can cause people to suffer from PTSD or similar traumas. A car accident lawyer can help get compensation for future therapy and rehabilitation sessions.
- Compensation for lost wages & suffering – there have been cases of car accidents leading to the loss of wages and sometimes even loss of a job. A car accident lawyer in New York state will help you fight back against the corporate and get compensation in such cases.
What does a car accident lawyer need?
There are some of the things that can help you verify if you are hiring a legit car accident lawyer in New York state. Some of those aforementioned things that a real lawyer will need to collect from you include the witness testimony, photos of the scene, police reports, insurance company reports, medical bills, video evidence as well as evidence for accident reconstruction.
Some of these things may require not only police reports but also an expert lawyer that is passionate about their job.
What to do if you get into a car accident in NYC?
If you do get into a car accident in NYC, here are some of the things you should do:
- Call 911 immediately.
- Seek medical care as soon as possible.
- Help other people that might need immediate attention.
- Ask witnesses for their contact information and names.
- Never leave the scene of the accident unless in need of immediate medical care.
- Talk to the police and give all the information required, but not a statement.
- Don’t talk to the other party’s representatives, especially their attorneys. Let your car accident lawyer deal with it for you.
In any case, it is imperative that if you want to drive around in New York state, you should consider investing in a passionate car accident lawyer.